I went to the Bakpro baking weekend event and it was pretty awesome. I learned how to make a red velvet cake, so red velvet cake is my new favourite cake and it could be my favourite of all time only if it didn’t involve red food colouring which stains everything.
- 2 cups cake flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup butter
- 1¼ cups castor sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoon red food colouring
- 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoon white vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ⅔ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Desiccated coconut
- red food colouring
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time and mix well.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Mix the cocoa powder and red food colouring to form a paste and add to the batter and mix well.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder and add to the batter mixture alternating with buttermilk and mix until smooth.
- Mix the vinegar and baking soda and let a few bubbles out and add to the batter and mix well.
- Divide the batter into two equal greased cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing from pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, whisk the cream cheese and icing sugar and vanilla and use as a filling between the layers.
- Whisk the cream and use to frost the rest of the cake.
- Decorate with desiccated coconut mixed with red food colouring.