- 3 cups, flour
- 1/3 cup, sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- 2/3 cup, lukewarm milk
- 1 tablespoon, yeast
- Cooking oil for deep frying(this will depend on the size of your pot, about 1 cup for a small pot)
- Add all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, yeast) into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add milk and water in two increments and mix with a wooden spatula until a smooth consistency (this will take some time and energy but just think of it as a full arm workout).
- Cover the bowl with plastic cover, let the dough rise for about an hour in a warm place (do not refrigerate).
- Heat up the oil in a deep pot on medium heat.
- Take small portions from the dough and mould with your hands to form small balls as you drop them into the hot oil.
- Deep fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper to remove access oil.
- Serve as is or if you have a sweet tooth dust, with some icing sugar or serve with honey, syrup or jam.
- Makes about 24 small vetkoeks. Don’t eat all of it by yourself, no really don’t!